Preventing dog bites
This week, May 16 - 22, is National Dog Bite Prevention week. The American Veterinary Medicine Association estimates about 4.5 million Americans are bitten by dogs every year. 5700 bites were reported in Maricopa County in 2009.
Please take care to prevent dog bites. Many of these tragedies could be avoided if people did the following:
1. Spade and neuter your animals so that they are less aggressive.
2. Always walk your dog on a leash that is less than 6 feet long.
3. Do not allow your dog to run at large.
4. Inspect all fences and gates so that they are secure.
5. Always supervise children around dogs.
6. Take extra care with powerful and agressive breeds such as pit bulls and rotteweilers.
7. Be careful!